Tuesday 15 April 2014

So you want to be a Sports Therapist?

Final year undergraduate Ben Oliver took time away from his busy schedule to give an insight into his life as a UCLan Sports Therapy student:

"As a third year student my life is fairly hectic. Although I'm not in university for a great amount of time this year, I'm kept busy seven days a week with private study, dissertation research, placements and work.

"My typical week consists of placement at Preston North End on a Monday and Wednesday, university for lectures, clinic sessions on a Tuesday and Thursday, placement at Macclesfield Town on Fridays and working at Marks and Spencer on a Saturday and Sunday.

"On placement I do a lot of sports massage and rehabilitation sessions and I also do warm ups for the youth team at North End. It takes a huge amount of commitment and sacrificing my social life, but it's well worth the effort.

"My dissertation topic is researching the effects of cryotherapy on knee joint position sense. We are utilising the 3D motion cameras in order to track the exact movements that people make during a functional knee bend before and after the application of ice. I have thoroughly enjoyed researching the topic and it's inspired me to think about starting a Master's by Research in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment