Friday 7 November 2014

UCLan PaST graduate accepts Sports Motivator role

Sam Cadwallader hopes to use her love of sport to inspire others to get involved in physical activity, after being appointed as a Sports Motivator at UCLan.

Since graduating with a Sports Therapy degree in 2010 Sam has worked in a variety jobs at UCLan, but hopes her current role will allow her to make a real difference to students' lives.

"I work for UCLan Sports Arena, but I have a base in Harrington reception foyer which is the on-campus link between students and the Arena," said Sam.

"I plan to recruit a team of volunteers, to raise awareness of the Arena and increase student participation by running sessions and events for students to engage in."

Sam's progression into her current position is the result of a number of years of hard work, initially as an undergraduate before going on to work at both the Arena and Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre.

She added: "I thoroughly enjoyed the Sports Therapy course. In particular I enjoyed the Spinal module taught by Karen May. Even though it was challenging and a very complex topic, it motivated me to want to learn more, helped by the fact that I enjoyed Karen's teaching style in particular.

"During my third year I studied part-time, enabling me the time and opportunity to work with Morecambe FC alongside their Physiotherapist. The experiences gained were invaluable and really developed me as a Sports Therapist.

"To learn and adapt my skills in the 'real world' outside a classroom environment played a huge part in my progression as a Sports Therapist and I'd hugely recommend students get as much hands on experience as possible.

"Being female in a male dominated environment was extremely challenging, but one that was enjoyable. Although I haven't gone on to pursue a career in Sports Therapy, I still have an interest in it. I own my own massage bed and often treat and advise family and friends.

"I'm extremely excited about my new role. The sports facilities available to students are fantastic and showcasing them is something I'm very passionate about."

Sam is looking for any enthusiastic students interested in volunteering and being involved in this opportunity - whether it's delivering sessions or promoting sport.

For further information please email Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment